Saturday, February 5, 2011

En 12: Notes from Friday, 4 Feb

Sorry, I forgot to post on Friday.  We spent the class brainstorming six themes from Chapters 1-4: totalitarian power, physical love, pain, etc.  Then we did a class brainstorm on the first one.  For Monday, we all need to have finished reading Book One (that means to the end of Chapter Eight).  I will be giving you a reading quiz to ensure you've done that.  We may also be writing on the themes.  I know that it may seem like "extra" work to read and answer the study guide questions, but believe me, doing so will save you much grief in the end - many of you struggled to find useful quotations on Friday because you had inadequate notes on your study guides.

Enjoy your time off.

4 comments:

  1. I'd just like to say that I'm really starting to enjoy 1984. In the beggining it was not the most exciting book that I've read, but now I must admit I can't even put it down once I've started to read. I just finnished 'book one' and now I'm into 'book two', two chapeters in. It's starting to get pretty interesting, I can't wait to see what happends next! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. & I'd like to add, I've done all my studie guide qustions up to 'book two' chapeter two. I REALLY dislike english and reading, turns out this isn't so bad! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Shawna; it was clear today that you are into the novel - you were able to answer most of the discussion questions and seem to be able to recognize many of the themes. If any of you guys read a quotations that strikes you as being significant, write it down (with a page citation) and share it with us in class - the best discussions are usually student generated.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, Your blog is very informative. It is nice to read such high-quality content. Attractive information on your blog, Thank you for taking the time and share with us the topic of 4 Types of Sentences. I am happy to be your newest follower. I would love to hop over and visit when get the chance.

    ReplyDelete