Thursday, December 2, 2010

En11-2: notes from Thursday, 02 December

Today, we discussed the Centron internet filter and some wider issues concerning the school and our parts in it.  I thought you all participated in the discussion maturely and with just the right balance of seriousness and humour.  I am regularly impressed by how students in our school can respond positively to the issues we face.  I hope you can take the tone of our time together and transfer it to other aspects of your lives.  It's so easy to be negative, judgmental and sarcastic and so difficult to live with integrity and to treat others with respect and empathy,  especially if those around you are not doing the same.  You have a year-and-a-half left to leave the lasting impression of your time at the school that others will judge you by; what will it be?  Bennett and Adam have come back to volunteer to coach the basketball team and I am proud to be able to say that as their teacher, I had a hand in their development.  I hope I will be able to say the same about each and every one of you, when you've moved on to bigger and better things.

Please post a comment to the blog to comment on the beginning of Act II of Macbeth.  You can speak to any aspect of Scenes i-ii that you wish.  Also, don't forget to read Act II, Scenes iii-iv (the rest of it).  I hope you read this and can prepare to read the following parts aloud on Monday:

Scene 3
Porter: Jay, Carson
Macduff: Kari, Sam
Lennox: Cody, Stephanie
Macbeth: Madison, Sanannah
Lady Macbeth: Amber, Shyla
Donalbain: Austin, Quinn
Malcolm: Sarah, Sam
Banquo: Allison, Luke

Scene 4
Old Man: Courtney, Khoya
Ross: Joel, Liz
Macduff: Gus, Samantha

6 comments:

  1. It was very thought provoking when the dagger floats in the air before Macbeth. At first I just thought it was Macbeth being a bit crazy. Now that I've read Kohl's comment about it being the witches I'm leaning more towards that being the reason behind the floating dagger. Over all, Act 2, scene 1 is my favorite scene so far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Act 2 Scene 2, was very interesting, and full of underlying meanings, or provoked deeper thinking from what Macbeth and Lady Macbeth were saying. I really like the arguements and plotting with the couple, they are very amusing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found the second scene in act two to be the best so far. Macbeth is scared because the servants woke up and cannot bring himself to say the word "amen" when listening to their prayers. Lady Macbeth also says that "had he not resembled
    my father as he slept, I had done ’t". which also shows that she is somewhat human.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the first two scenes in Act 2 have been the best so far. At first I thought Macbeth's vision of the dagger was just to show how obsessed he was about the Murder, and just how crazy it was making him. Or, could it be to show how much power the witches have?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm getting more interested in the play, now that they've finally put the plan into action.
    I'm surprised that when Macbeth brought his indecision up with lady Macbeth that he didn't mention that he was worried Banqou would suspect him. And now that Duncan is dead, won't he become even more suspicious of Macbeth, having been witness to the witches' prophecy?

    ReplyDelete
  6. The first two scenes in act two are my favorite so far I think that the floating dagger is a symbol of Mcbeth's conscious telling him not to kill Duncan but instead leads Mcbeth to think that the positive outcome will out-weigh the negative and that he should go through with the murder as planned.

    ReplyDelete